[Magdalen] New specs

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 3 15:16:43 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 15:53, Sally Davies wrote:
> Wow, I have new specs!! These are either going to change my life or drive me mad...
>
> They are multifocals (progressive lenses), and supposed to stop the endless
> peering and craning and squinting to see things close-up when I don't have my reading glasses, which is most of the time.

I have had lenses like that for quite a time now, probably 10 years or
more.  I think it helped that when I went from single focus to
multi-focus the "reading" correction from my basic prescription was
relatively minor and has hot more significant over the years, and
spectacles.  I opted for them over bifocals as I need to be avle to read
a missal at arms length so I need to be able to focus at three different
distances.  The latest pair gave a wider reading segnent than previously
which makes things easier.

> Right now I feel I can't see/read anything, and then I move my head and
> it's suddenly crystal clear for a few seconds before vanishing into a blur again.
>
> I think my physio will approve because to read I have to sit up straight
> but I also have to lift my chin and look down, which might not be so good.
> She likes the "long neck" posture with chin in and back...but as long as
> I'm not doing the "hadeda looking for worms" (that is, a grey ibis for
> those who are wondering), I think it's OK.
>
> The frames are very nice and were horrifically expensive, they come from
> the USA.

My frames weren't too expensive, it's the lenses which cost a lot -
particularly as I have lighter plastic to stop the edges being very
thick.  Hope you adjust to them soon, and that Lunn finds something that
works for her as well.

Roger