[Magdalen] Kim Davis ordered to jail.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 18:31:44 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/3/2015 2:17:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

COs were  very much discriminated
against in WWII, much more so than in Vietnam. I  knew a bunch of them
during Vietnam  >>>>>>

There were two Selective Service Appeal Boards in the State of
Wisconsin whose major duty was to evaluate and recommend or
not recommend official recognition of the CO status during the
Viet Nam War.

My dermatologic colleague, who was 70-ish had been a member
of the Western WI SS Appeal Board, and pushed it off on me when I  started
private practice in 1969 after more than three years of active duty
in the US Army Medical Corps.

We met in the Eau Claire Federal Building once per week and
put in an exhaustive evening.  Probably 75% of the appeals were
approved for CO status of duty without combat requirement.  The
rest were disapproved and not allowed to claim CO status.  The
disapprovals were usually easy to spot as simply a ploy for  convenience
and not real conviction.

Then the VN War ended.  We gathered for one last dinner together
in a local restaurant, and "retired".  Later, there was one of  those
gorgeous Government certificates for each of us, thanking us for our  duty.

David Strang.