[Magdalen] Kim Davis ordered to jail.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Sep 4 07:51:10 UTC 2015

On 9/3/15 10:21 PM, Charles Wohlers wrote:
> We're talking about two different things. Town clerks have nothing to do
> with the Courts, which are typically county-based. Town or city clerks
> (at least in New England) register marriages, which is not the
> responsibility of the court system.

Here in Kansas, I'd go to the County Clerk's Office in the Courthouse
for a marriage license, for a car license, to pay my property tax, to
vote early (including federal voting, though my Precinct would be open
for it on election day), to register to vote, all kinds of things.  The
County Clerk also runs the elections-- that's all done out of that
office, including the town precincts.  The County Commissioners are
his/her bosses, but the County Clerk is a Very Important Person so far
as anything below the state level is concerned.  That's rural Kansas, of
course: I don't know how they do things in big places like Kansas City
and its suburbs, or Wichita and its suburbs.

Right now our County Clerk has a problem, because in my county we seem
to have quite a few more people registered to vote than we have
population of voting age, according to the most recent census. It's
fairly certain that it has to do with people dying or moving away and
not being eliminated from the rolls, but apparently there's no good
system for keeping track of that.  They're supposed to be purged if they
haven't voted in the last two general elections, but the pure numbers
should balance out with people who never bothered to register in the
first place, whether coming of age or moving here, or are convicted
felons and not eligible, etc.

We also elect a Clerk of the District Court, and I'm not totally sure
what that person does, other than keep track of the Court dates and
records for the Judges.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net