[Magdalen] Wedding Advice

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:28:47 UTC 2015

On 09/04/2015 10:28 AM, Rick Mashburn wrote:
> As y'all know, Alex and I were married in a civil ceremony in Santa Fe in
> May. We're planning our church service for November. Currently, the liturgy
> that is approved calls the service the "Celebration of a Lifelong Covenant"
> but I'm hoping it can be the "Blessing of a Civil Marriage" by the time the
> bulletins are printed. We've requested permission from the Bishop to call
> it that
I'll be interested to hear how the details work, Rick, in both regards,
and I'm very excited for you and Alex!

I'm old-fashioned enough to think the ceremony invitation is one thing,
and the reception another. Or, to avoid any awkwardness, open the
reception and have a private dinner celebration another time.

It was my understanding the sacrament of marriage doesn't "officially"
open until Advent 1. This also requires some detail work, I imagine; we
have some married-elsewhere couples at St. James who have held off the
current options (while others have opted for them). Does the blessing of
an already-performed civil marriage open to equality before Advent 1? I
don't know that we have any couples chomping at the bit, but I expect
some dates may be requested by early next (secular) year.

Peace,
Jo