[Magdalen] In the jungle

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:46:15 UTC 2015

I find myself with a foot in both camps. Pokeweed *is* a nuisance when it
grows where you don't want it. However, as Sibyl says, it has many valuable
properties, some of which Big Pharma doesn't wish to acknowledge but were
well-known to old-time healers. Southern cooks, particularly country folks,
know about "poke sallet"; interestingly enough, although I ate many things
I otherwise never would have encountered during my days as a home health
nurse, this is one I missed. And I have looked at old journals and other
writings and actually seen things written with the red ink made from it.
One of my artist friends, who uses only natural dyes in her fiber art,
would absolutely LOVE to use pokeberries if she could only find the mordant
to make it set, but she can't find anything about it either. So I only cuss
it in my flowerbeds and leave the rest for the birds. Well, I take that
back....I also cuss it when the birds poop purple on my car windows.