[Magdalen] In the jungle

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:41:49 UTC 2015

Bamboo was the scourge of my parents' backyard in Knoxville. My dad fought
a losing battle with the stuff. And we won't talk about honeysuckle (which
I partially forgive because of its sweet scent) or the worst of all, the
plant that ate the south, KUDZU! When our Adam was in Iraq, we threatened
to send him some in a care package that he could plant near an oasis. We
figured if it spread, maybe the Sunnis and Shiites would get so busy
fighting it that they would forget to fight each other. He said Iraq was
too dry, though.