[Magdalen] pencils

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:44:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> There is some of the same awkwardness in handling flatware,
> I've noticed.

I remember arriving in Michigan in first grade (we moved in midyear, I
think...quite disruptive) to find that Michigan kids mostly used a
fork like a shovel, clutching it in their fists. Even back then I
thought we Wisconsinites must have been ahead of the Michiganians.
(Hm...I just noticed that the official newspaper term for someone from
Michigan isn't known to Microsoft's spelling checker, but
"Michigander" is. I've never understood where that 'd' comes from and
never liked it.)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA