[Magdalen] Bishop pleads; to be sentenced.

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 20:39:20 UTC 2015

Well, I do understand your sentiment, Marion, because I think the whole thing was a tragedy for everyone involved. I don't know whether the sentence is heavy enough, but I do think she should have to pay a heavy fine to the family. Maybe that has to be done separately, though.
All of that being said, I find that I am still angry at the way the church failed her and, by extension, the Palermo family by not tackling the issue of Cook's alcohol abuse. Her previous DUI was not disclosed to the nominating committee, and no one --Sutton nor the PB--took action when she was drunk at a pre-consecration event. I believe they are also culpable, whether the law would say so or not.

The only good to come out of this is that we as a church are finally having a long-overdue conversation about our relationship with alcohol, and there is now an updated policy. I'm asking our region to review and discuss it, though I'm expecting stiff resistance to doing that.
The one item that stood out for me was that alcohol shall not be served when church business is to be conducted. That rules out our regional meeting and many vestry meetings.
Also, things that use alcohol as a draw, such as wine and cheese tastings, are forbidden.