[Magdalen] In the jungle

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 21:29:31 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/8/2015 2:48:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cervus51 at gmail.com writes:

The most  annoying invasive plant in my yard is Black Locust. Horrible
wretched  things.>>>>>>>>

They can be a real headache.  My father planted them on our lake
property, and I was responsible for finally eradicating them.

Interestingly, they were the first North American tree to be  introduced
into Europe.  There is no question that when in blossom, they  are
quite beautiful.  They were introduced into the Upper Midwest  where
they are not native around 1900, and were widely planted.  Our  local
Wisconsin court house square had the entire perimeter thus planted,
but over the years they have all been removed.

They are prolific seeders, but this makes them ideal for stabilizing
hillsides.

David Strang.