[Magdalen] In the jungle

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 22:17:13 UTC 2015

Atlantis does, however, make good charcoal, and that's one of the projects our Master Naturalist group helps with.
As for getting rid of it, the best method is known as "hack and squirt." You do have to hold your nose, figuratively speaking, and use a Monsanto product--Roundup, or its generic equivalent, glyphosate.
Take an axe or a hatchet and make diagonal cuts around the tree near the bottom of the trunk and squirt full-length Round-up into each gash. This is the best time of year to do it, as the sap is retreating down into the roots for the winter. The tree will be dead by spring.

The bane of my existence here is a plant called white mulberry or sometimes paper mulberry. It puts out rhizomes and can create huge thickets in rather short order.  We'd all but eradicated it last year but didn't keep up with the mowing, so it's back with a vengeance. The fruit is almost non-existent, so it doesn't even have that going for it...