[Magdalen] In the jungle

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 01:23:04 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/8/2015 5:57:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
susanvhagen at gmail.com writes:

Of all  the nasty invasive things I've had to deal with in a gardening
lifetime I  think I may hate ailanthus most of all.  There is no name too
bad for  them and the stink is revolting.>>>>>

Chinese Sumac and Tree of Heaven are common names.  It's  interesting
to see them crawl up the mountains here at the edge of the  Pennsylvania
Poconos.  They have nearly made it to the top on PA 309 and I-81,  and
soon those communities upon the mountains will have to contend with  them.

They haven't pushed into the upper one half of Wisconsin, and I've  never
seen them in Minnesota, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Another more southern tree that has been following the Interstate  System
to northern latitudes is the Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus  virginiana).
I have no problem with them, but I don't raise apples.  They are  the
alternate host for Apple-Cedar Rust.  This kills the apple trees but
doesn't
bother the cedars much.

One could do worse than to have a forest of Tulip trees.  They are  North
America's largest hardwood.  I have just one that I dearly love.

David Strang.