[Magdalen] Loaned out

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:46:39 UTC 2015

Scott, this is not a judgmental remark but an observation - money that
starts as a loan and is taken advantage of by the borrower, is not really
ever viewed as a gift by either party unless there is grace in the equation,
in my experience... M's suggestion is a possible solution in this current
situation you describe as it will in essence 'give' the borrower the $500.
he now desires (by essentially  'canceling' his debt)

IMO, money given freely is received in a different way than most loans.
Loans 'cancelled' have a variety of results including possible gratitude,
but none matching the former concept of money 'given' outright with stated
expectations that it is a 'gift'. The benefits for the giver and the
recipient in the money giving scenario might possibly be life changing for
both of them in a positive way.  OTOH, also IMO,  a person who remains in
debt, who has been excused or ignored for repayment may be affected in many
ways that may not be helpful for them in the long run. In other words, with
no closure of any kind it has never been resolved.

Your remark about how you 'let repayment happen or not' possibly sets you up
as a 'mark'. You might reconsider your premise of how you look at Christian
charity, and how that interacts with how you are 'doing it' and discuss it
with a person of faith who is not part of your group of friends and
religious associates.

peace
Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com