[Magdalen] Hillary

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 9 23:32:35 UTC 2015

>>>You're wrong there - they people off *especially* if they are
incompetent.  They know they will hold the organization back if they
stay in post so it makes financial sense to pay them to go away.<<<

Incompetent or not, sometimes it's too expensive to pay someone to go away.  The example I'm thinking of was anything but incompetent, but in a county department that had gone horrifically bankrupt and which was keeping only low-level staff to do everything the high-level execs had once done, this one high-level exec had been there so long and had managed to finagle so high a salary, that severance pay to remove him from the picture would have amounted to more than a year of his own salary, which the department simply no longer had laying around.  So he remained as the lone, high-up fellow, to retire at a ripe old age.  I remember him as a good man, always looking out for the interests of us clerks.