[Magdalen] All in the family

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 01:52:54 UTC 2015

In our house, we hang on to punch lines.

The was a wonderful story told years ago in a dramatization of Henry VIII
that ended with the line, "Or the horse may talk."

When enumerating options we could do, sometimes one of us will add, "Or the
horse may talk...."

Years ago, we used to enjoy the marvelous humor of Miss Manners.  We
sometimes will recall out of the blue some of her best lines.  I don't
recall when we did "How do you do?  How do you do?" but we often will say,
in a very polite tone, "Because it's simply impossible."

A person observing us on hidden camera would no doubt conclude that we were
certifiable, because we would be saying these lines that, to the outside
observer, make no sense.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford