[Magdalen] Professional panhandlers; was Loaned out.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:35:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Ann Markle <ann.markle at aya.yale.edu> wrote:
> I do not ever give, however, to the ones who stand at the exits and
> entrances of interstates or expressways with signs; I've seen bunches of
> them get into vans at the end of the day; I suspect they're Moonies or
> somesuch.

I have a problem with anyone collecting money in the middle of the
street; this is why I don't give to Misericordia, a local
social-services agency, and I tell them why every year via an email to
their HQ. Any organization that fundraises by sending people into
traffic with cans has got a screw loose.

There's a major high-traffic intersection near home where men have
sold newspapers in the street for years. I'm glad to see that doesn't
seem to be happening anymore. Especially now that it's a
red-light-camera intersection and people are trying not to get snapped
by the camera for blocking the box or entering it when the light is
red. More ways to get hit if you're standing out there.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA