[Magdalen] Murdoch

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:30:44 UTC 2015

Well, either things will sort themselves out -- or they won't.

The earth will be engulfed by the sun when it goes red giant in a couple
billion years in any case -- unless we are able to get hold of a few large
asteroids and do close fly-bys to pull us into a higher orbit.  We need to
be at 1.13 AU (astronomical units) to have a chance.

The core will not lose enough velocity of churning to stop the magnetic
field for the time left between the present and the time when the sun will
envelop the earth (vaporizing it entirely).

We could, of course, be hit by some rogue super heavy object and all life
wiped out, but so far as we know, this is not going to happen for the next
decade or so. However, our survey of the sky is far from complete, and
there is always the chance of some object coming at us out of the sin's
direction, where it's hard to spot these guys until the jig is up.

So, you see, it may not really be a big deal after all.

Or ... (for those of you who have been paying attention) ...

The horse may talk!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford