[Magdalen] Supertasters and random quiz

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 20:24:10 UTC 2015

Shit happens, as I can attest.  I have now passed the eight month mark
without taste or smell.  A huge part of life's pleasure has vanished
from my life.  Food and drink, of course, are boring and evaluated in
different terms like refreshing or good mouth feel or spicy (although I
can't tell the particularheat agent) or plain featureless.  Seasoning
cooking for balance is quite beyond me. Smell, ah!  Living alone, I
can't tell when the cat box is offensive.  I can't smell a burning pot,
or cooking food at all.  I can't smell flowers, tragic for a gardener.
I can't smell wood smoke, or bacon.  Or a gas leak in my new house.  Am
I personally giving offense through body odor or bad breath???  Or
almost worst of all, the incense at my church or in my home.

There is little hope that these senses will return.  :-((((  I do
however continue to eat and drink as before; there is just no direct
pleasure, only memory.  I remain cheerful.

Marion, a pilgrim