[Magdalen] Supertasters and random quiz

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 21:18:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford
<oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is actually a distinct type of taste that some supertasters have.  It
> is distinct from sweet, sour, bitter, and uh, whatever else there may be,
> aside from that taste.
>
> It comes into play, I am told, in some oriental dishes.

Umame, the fifth flavor? I've also heard it described as "savory,"
although that's confusing to me. In any case, it's the flavor that's
added when MSG is used, and I believe is present in some meats.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA