[Magdalen] Endless war...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 01:43:10 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/11/2015 5:08:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

On Fri,  Sep 11, 2015 at 12:38 PM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com>  wrote:

> One of our student assistants (in the RN program) signed up  with the
> promise she's be sent to Germany, where her husband was  serving.
>
> But at the last minute they decided they needed a  nurse in Korea and sent
> her there for two  years.>>>>>>>

Toward the end of my six week orientation into the Army Medical Corps
at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX, we got out assignments.   We
were all conscripts, and thus required to continue in the Army for  the
next two years.  I had requested CONUS duty station (in the  USA).

To my surprise, I was assigned to the 97th General Hospital,  Frankfurt/M
Germany.  Then I noticed that the duty time required for this  assignment
was 3 years, not the 2 expected.

I saw the authorities, who told me that my assignment was a plush  one,
and that if I didn't like crossing the Atlantic they could arrange for  me
"to cross the Pacific".  This was during the Viet Nam War, and it  was
a not so veiled attempt for coercion.  I took the Germany deal, and  in
the end I was happy I did.  I fought the Viet Nam War on the front  lines
of West Germany for somewhat over 3 years.  It was the experience  of
a lifetime.

David Strang.