[Magdalen] Endless war...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Sep 13 00:39:32 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/12/2015 4:01:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ALaurent at npr.org writes:

Instead,  I was assigned to a U.S.  >>>>>>>>>

The Army was desperate to retain physicians of all types
during my years (1966-1970), and there was an automatic four
year promotion situation.

I was in long enough (because I'd actually been drafted some time
before I entered active duty) to qualify for the promotion to field
grade (Major).  It was rather fun.  There was a big deal for the  two
of us "attaining our Majority" in the hospital commandant's office,
and we were each presented with an appropriate oak leaf hat
and fancy certificate.  The other fellow promoted to Major was,  by
coincidence, my neighbor across the hall in our Military quarters,
who was a nurse.

I thought seriously of staying in - I would have been a full "Bird
Colonel" in something like 8 years.  Brigadier was not  automatic,
however.

David Strang.