[Magdalen] immigration / migrant situation --->Re: Professionalpanhandlers; was Loaned out.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 15 21:44:00 UTC 2015

On 15/09/2015 22:12, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> I recall that the main front representative of chamber of commerce
> announced upon his retirement that he was moving because nobody can afford to live in New York State.

That shows a metrocentric view of the State.  Last time I checked New
York State reaches up to the Great Lakes.  I haven't checked property
prices but I imagine there are lots of areas where life is cheaper than
in Manhattan.

> I laughed at him!  What on earth are all the citizens of New York doing
> then?  We seem to be getting along quite well, actually, and I'd match our
> services with -- ah well.  Folks know what they know.  A lot of my friends are retirees, and we are doing fine.
>
> I can well imagine an older couple living in a small apartment in some
> larger municipality, and living quite well.

Probably a darn sight better than they would in a one-horse town miles
from a city they don't fancy driving in.

> I love where we are, but the stairs are a factor, and when my mobility is
> impaired, we'll have to move.  My spouse wants to move to a retirement
> community, which has its advantages, but I find old people horribly
> depressing, so....

I am right there with you on that one.  About forty years ago I went to
a care home to celebrate Holy Communion.  Somebody who had been there on
respite care was getting into a taxi and one of the residents who
attended church said "Not many leave that way".  Do you really want to
be in a community where you are the youngest couple?

Roger