[Magdalen] Prayers needed

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:44:22 UTC 2015

Sibyl>And Hispanic isn't a race, just a family name, or the > cradle
language?

Hispanic is often used as a race category when asking ethnic backgrounds on
surveys (and even the US Census, I think) and In Houston the word Hispanic
is pretty much used for anyone south of our border who is not Anglo. The bus
driver was from a Central American country I think.

The mistake we white folks make is to think that *all Hispanics* are  *the
same*.... when in fact there are various social pecking orders and
nationality pecking orders among all of the countries of Central and South
America... and especially when it comes to church - in the greater metro
Houston area the 'Hispanic' populations at various churches are often very
country-centric, or even region-centric.  In contrast in general to the
melting pot of W Europeans who all became 'white' and 'get along' (right?! :
(

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr