[Magdalen] Greetings and question about the Photian Heresy

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 21:38:38 UTC 2015

Hi Brad

Lovely to hear your "voice" again and that you are happy.

Waldorf education is popular in South Africa albeit with small groups of
people - we had two Waldorf schools in the Cape Town area that I knew of.
The one was quite familiar to me as we used to go there on Saturdays for an
organic market. They tried to keep the fees affordable but as a result the
building was kind of collapsing...

The school went to the max in terms of encouraging children's
imaginations...sometimes I wondered if this were entirely a good thing as
they could present as very spaced out at times - but in any case,
preferable to the traumatised children who too often emerged from the
public schooling system.

As for the Dark Ages, I'm with you in believing that they definitely did
not exist. As far as I can tell, the era of the 9th Century, far from being
a time when things fell apart, marked the Golden Age of the Muslim
civilisation, and a degree of recovery for the Byzantines. There's also
some controversy about the so-called "Carolingian Renaissance" but that
seemed to mark a period between the early and late Middle Ages in which
there was more writing and cultural development.

It seems that the notion of a Dark Age is a prejudiced characterisation
from people who idealised the bloodthirsty Roman Empire (such as Petrarch),
or Protestants who wanted to characterise these years as years of gathering
Catholic corruption and spiritual decay.

Steiner seems, somehow, to have picked up on this idea and made his own
narrative out of it - but there's nothing Dark there except our own
ignorance of that time, in which many very good things began, such as
charities and public hospitals.

The guy who taught my boys Art was very influenced by Steiner's ideas, he
was a fine teacher of both children and adults. I can recall having some
interesting conversations with him about the influence of colour and other
sensory factors on learning process.

Montessori schools are also very popular here - they encourage exploration
and experimentation rather than freely ranging imagination but have a
philosophy of the child as a natural learner that is not dissimilar to
Waldorf.

I am currently studying neuropsychology and have been reading some
interesting things about "dynamic core" theory - the underpinning of
consciousness, which seems to shed some light on problems such as
hyperactivity and various forms of sensitive temperament in children. The
key brain structure is the thalamus.

In Renaissance and early Modern times people were forever cutting up brains
in the hope of finding "the seat of the soul". As it happens, there is a
sort of bony seat in there, the Pituitary Gland rests in it.

Sally D