[Magdalen] Monterey fire?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 05:10:26 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/21/2015 5:59:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

The fire  is way up in the hills of Carmel Valley (Cachagua area), so I'm
not so certain  these two varieties are in much danger.  Not so sure about
the pine, but  I'm fairly certain the cypress is basically coastal in Monterey
 County.>>>>>

The Monterey Cypress is widely used for landscaping up and down
the Pacific Coast.  The Monterey Pine is a major lumber tree for
Australia, New Zealand, and areas of South America where it grows
much better than in its tiny native habitat.  In some of these areas  the
pine has "escaped" and naturalized, sometimes overwhelming the
native species.

David Strang.