[Magdalen] Neuroscience fact of the day - elephants

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:57:03 UTC 2015

Two things about that, Roger.

1) I just saw a documentary about Gorongosa Park in Mozambique, which
suffered terrible losses during a long civil war, in addition to poaching.
The elephant herds there are recovering, with lots of babies, but....many
of the surviving females are tuskless, as are their offspring. The question
was asked...is this the future of the elephant?

2) Gerald Durrell, in one of his books, has a wonderful description of a
group of young bachelor elephants who have discovered a grove of rotten
fruit. They have gotten drunk and are throwing the fruit at each other,
mock charging, making silly noises, and in general behaving like college
students at a rowdy party. I laughed to tears reading it.

For a fictional description of an elephant herd, I suggest a book called
The White Bone, by Barbara Gowdy. I read it years ago and it made quite an
impression on me.

Jay, lover of things elephantine

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com