[Magdalen] The Good Book

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Sep 26 16:58:05 UTC 2015

On 9/24/15 9:41 PM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> ...by Peter Gomes. I snagged a copy of it this afternoon at the local used
> bookstore and have just started it. Anyone else read it? Thoughts?

Thank you, Jay.  I've vaguely intended to read this for many years now,
but a copy of it has never managed to make its way into my "To Read"
mountain here.  But now I have Kindle, so I downloaded it yesterday on
your inspiration.

While still bleary-eyed this morning, still on my first coffee, I picked
up the Kindle from my kitchen table, and started it, and am now wide
awake, reading and convinced that I'm going to continue reading every
time I sit down, and will be delayed from getting up again because I'm
reading it.

Instead of an "Introduction" there's an "Apologia" to introduce one to
the book, and he begins the Apologia with a discussion of that family of
apologetic words, on which I've chewed for years.  His main point seems
to be that the Bible should be taken seriously, of which I've been
trying to convince people for years.  I'm in love with the man!  ;^)

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net