[Magdalen] hissing at Haman

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 23:26:54 UTC 2015

There was an enormous kerfuffle this year among the Romance Writers of
American when a book based on the book of Esther but set during WWII was
nominated for an award. In the book, a young Jewish woman named Hadassah
Benjamin falls in love with a Nazi commandant and saves a substantial
number of Jews. A huge e-mail and Facebook campaign against the award
ensued, most of the e-mails and posts apparently coming from people who
(predictably) had not read the book and didn't know what it was based on. I
guess it's okay for a respectable Jewish girl to fall in love with (and use
to save her people) a Persian king but not a Nazi commandant.

I'm also betting at least half the complainers were unfamiliar with the
book of Esther.