[Magdalen] hissing at Haman

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 28 23:15:02 UTC 2015

On 28/09/2015 18:09, Jay Weigel wrote:
> My whole point in posting about the book was that people were so up in arms
> about the theme that they were posting inflammatory "anti" posts about
> something they a) hadn't read, in most cases, and b) didn't recognize the
> source of. I very much doubt that most of them were even familiar with the book of Esther!

One big lesson these objectors ignore is that in drawing attention to
that to which they object they actually increase awareness of it.  I
would not have read the Harru Potter books had it not been for
objections to the first of them.  The objectors looked at the words and
the surface meaning rather than the underlying message the books
conveyed.  Essentially there efforts are counterproductive to their
intention.  The flip side of that is that those of us who are more
open-minded may well get the message they wish to obscure.

Roger