[Magdalen] Trump, education and children

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 03:10:11 UTC 2016

I read your post this morning, Sally, but I wanted to wait until I had a little time to think about how to answer.

I know there's always a danger in trying to "psychologize" someone from afar, but it seems to me that Trump's narcissism won't allow him to let in any information that might prove him wrong. He seems to need to say whatever will play well in any given moment, even if it's diametrically opposed to something he said previously--and we've been seeing a lot of that. One columnist today made the point that he has made 5 conflicting statements on abortion on the last 3 days!
And then, of course, there is his insistence on disregarding actual facts--and even video evidence--that contradict his version of reality.

But I am even more troubled by the number of people who are taken in by, and supportive of, his bigoted and hate-filled diatribes against everyone who isn't white, male and Christian. I am especially troubled that so few leaders, especially those in his own party, have come forward to denounce his bigotry and generally hateful rhetoric. If he ends up being the nominee, they have only themselves to blame.

As to the larger question about the quality of our educational system, I am in despair over much of it. It seems that there is no longer room for critical thinking and dialogue about important tissues nor for the art of disagreeing respectfully with different points of view.
My twin grandsons are in the local public school system, and while the early grades up to about 5th grade were excellent, it seems that everything now is about testing and getting ready for tests. This means that much of the material now is taught by rote so the kids can spit it back on the next benchmark test--whatever that is--or SOL or whatever.  We were helping Ryan study for a recent geography test, and I was appalled. There were 400+ flash cards that he could download from the school website, and most of them were multiple choice questions with no context. Some of them were outlines of individual countries to be identified, again with no surrounding  context. The only one I could identify was Italy!  And it was obvious that the students weren't expected to put the discrete bits of information together to get an actual understanding of a country.
I think we're experiencing a real "dumbing-down" in this country, and I was recently pondering whether we might actually be headed into another period like the Dark Ages. Arts education programs are being cut everywhere, local governments are cutting school funding, and too many senior citizens are refusing tax increases to fund schools, because they no longer have kids in schools.
Many really good teachers are quitting because of low pay and the way in which they are being required to teach now.
So I think we're becoming a society that is ever more gullible and receptive to the opinions and rhetoric being spouted by Trump and others. And that is a dangerous situation to be in, as we saw with the rise of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin and their forms of government.

They are like the Wizard of Oz--the little man behind the curtain--only this isn't a fairy tale, and real damage is being done.

Grace, turning rant mode off...for now