[Magdalen] Sexism directed at the workplace.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 8 17:02:15 UTC 2016

Deliberate wording.  Yesterday afternoon, I emailed a memo to an applicant with a project in the approximate 100-year floodplain (FEMA did no detailed work to determine a flooding elevation) that indicated he needed to provide a flood analysis to determine a flooding elevation.  This morning, he leaves me a voicemail clearly indicating confusion on his part and a clear desire to "fix" the problem (meaning, find a way to let him off the hook).  I relay this info to my supervisor who calls him back post haste, leaving a voicemail with her number.  Minutes later he calls ME, saying "Yeah, I got a call from J******* about my project...."  I politely interject that he should have called HER back then, and immediately transferred him over to her.

I've worked her for 23.5 years, both as a front office clerk and a permit review technician, and I continue to be amazed (not) at the persistent level of sexism I've encountered during that time.  A woman calls me?  I'll call a man back.

Irritating.