[Magdalen] WTPho?

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:12:23 UTC 2016

​Even in Madison, WI,​ with its plethora of foreign students (in the early
1960s it had the largest Indian student population in the US), there were
only Italian, Chinese, and American restaurants until the mid-1960s when
first Ella's Deli, then Ovens of Brittany, and then the Parthenon opened on
State Street. Now, of course, it's way different, but back then, the only
way you got international cuisine was in someone's home. So I tasted a bit
of Spanish, Basque, and Argentine cuisine while dating a Spanish major who
lived with guys from Spain and Argentina, for instance. My first
introduction to Indian food came from a friend who had served in the Peace
Corps in northern India and learned not only the local cuisine, but how to
mix the spices. My immediate reaction was, "WOW! Where has this been all my
life?!".....and it was only dal! But my late ex didn't have a very
adventurous palate, sad to say. I have maintained mine to this day and am
open to trying just about anything.