[Magdalen] A very pleasant lunch break

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 14 00:44:15 UTC 2016

wa not easy) and certainly not a limousines had today part way through my drive from Chicago to Des Moines.  Hotel shuttle to O'Hare, down the escalator from Departures to Arrivals and then another shuttle to the rental car company.  The man behind the counter won't have made much commission on extras I paid for as the only one I opted for was to upgrade the breakdown assistance Package.  I certainly did not give into their blandishments to upgrade to a sports car or Corvette (getting in and out  could be tricky) and certainly not a limousine -parking something that size is not my idea ofd fun so I stayed wiwth the Jetta.
Once I had extricated myself from Chicago, just driving round the airport perimeter takes time, it was time for the open road.  I was glad to discover that this car has cruise control and I fiund it easy to operate.  For part of the journey it was useless as it was stop start getting round an accident on the I-55 where a car transporter had gone into the back of a FedEx trailer. The can booked intact so hopefully no serious injuries but it did block ywo lanes so we were reduced to one lane and the shoulder to ease round it.
After the only hold-up was roadworks on I-80.  Part of this annoyed me because they had put up a speed limit sign but then no end of restriction sign.  The second part of the works did include the promised lane restriction and the appropriate signs in place.
GPS duly got me to Meg's church.  If you recall the pictures she put up when her appointment there was announced they do not do it justice.  The basic structure may be 1960's with all its design faults but the inside is something else entirely.  Lunch in a local Japanese restaurant was not exactly rushed as we had a jolly good chin-wag about the list, vocation, life experience and the like.  Naturally we compared notes on which listren we have met face to face.  Meg is delightful and I can see why the congregation love her and how she is breathing new life into the place, and why the bishop has nobbled her for some diocesan committees.
Time flew so quickly I was surprised when I looked at my watch and realised it was gone 3, the time I had thought I would like to leave but we had to get the obligatory photo taken when we returned to her church before I headed for the Interstate again.  Meg has got it up on Facebook already for those of you who are3 friends with her there. The rest of my journey to Des Moines was uneventful but now it;s time for a bite to eat.
 Tomorrow I head for Kansas City for a couple of nights.  Brud,  if you see this in time and are up to it then I would love to be able to visit with you, even briefly.  I will be staying at the Quality for on Centerville Avenue, Kearney or you could try me on 1-312-480-8128.
Roger