[Magdalen] New blog

Allan Carr allanc25 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 07:38:51 UTC 2016

Molly's blog made me think of my own life, decades ago, when I made a
Gestalt declaration for all to see on my living room wall.

In 1969, Fritz Perls wrote Gestalt Theory Verbatim, which contained
selections from audiotapes of Perls' seminars at Esalen between 1966 and
1968. The book contained a 58 word segment which became known as the
Gestalt Prayer:

I do my thing and you do your thing.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.

A year or so later, I pinned the classic poster (
http://www.dking-gallery.com/store/HEAD_24mything.html, showing a couple
embracing under these words, (except the last line)) up on my living room
wall, where it stayed even through a divorce and for a few early years of a
subsequent marriage.

During all that decade or more, I was heavily engaged in what was known as
the Human Potential Movement, but I then moved into Zen. After a son's
suicide, I also returned to Christianity (sort of) and the Episcopal Church
(All Saints Pasadena version).

--
Allan Carr