[Magdalen] Fwd: How does a building ask for help?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:40:00 UTC 2016

I can remember when I was barely as tall as a normal table, going to visit
my Aunt Kate (really my great aunt). She was a person who had been places
and seen things, and her house was filled with all sorts of wonderful
things. I guess she was the one who instilled in me my perennial sense of
wonder. Among the things strewn around were copies of "Cathedral Age," the
magazine put out by the National Cathedral. I was somehow aware that this
was a church in progress, and that it was nowhere near completion, and that
my Aunt Kate placed great importance in its welfare.  She always made
modest contributions, for which she received a card from someone on the
staff, giving a little tidbit of what was then happening.
Many years later, while in college, I went by bus to hear a performance of
Mahler's Symphony #8 ("symphony of a thousand") in the still far from
complete cathedral.
When I was in Washington, several years later, I was able to view the top
of the last tower which would be later put in place to celebrate the actual
completion of the Cathedral. (I was able to touch it.  I wasn't supposed
to, but I suspect they knew some of the tourists would reach past the
velvet ropes to touch history. I visited my Aunt Kate a short time later
and told her of my latest encounter at the Cathedral. I always made it a
point to tell her whenever I had a chance to visit it over the years, and
she was always fascinated. That day, however, was, I am sure, a very
special one, because she knew from an eye witness that her cathedral -- our
cathedral -- was finally completed.  It was only a few years later that an
attendant came into her room and found her with a "Discover" Magazine open
in her lap, having departed for yet one more incredible journey. Fair seas
and following winds, Aunt Kate!
I give to our cathedral when I can, and think of my aunt, my inspiration.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford