[Magdalen] Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 20:49:45 UTC 2016

In a message dated 4/16/2016 4:39:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

IAN  David, but I remember an interesting situation with a young man in a
parish I  was serving years ago. He'd been baptized in the Methodist Church
as a baby,  then became a Mormon and had to undergo their form of
baptism.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As I have said before in this forum, I think it would be a great surprise
for
most Mormons to learn they are not, technically, Christians, at least if
one
is a stickler for the wording of the baptismal service.  Yes, I know  they
have some somewhat cockeyed version of the Trinity, but then, the Trinity
is
pretty difficult theology in its standard orthodox form, too.

In any case, I think the Episcopal priest who "rebaptized" the young  man
should have his head examined.  You cannot be rebaptized.  That's  why
the Baptismal Liturgy has that provision, "If this person has not  been
(previously) baptized, I baptize in the name of .....(the Trinity)."   In
MHO, the Mormon "baptism" was utterly meaningless, and should be
treated as though it had never happened.

David Strang.