[Magdalen] Brioche.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 13:49:24 UTC 2016

In these days of international trade, it is interesting what becomes
available.  Our local Wal Mart, of all places, now routinely  stocks
a brioche loaf imported from France.

I've always known brioche as the "other" French breakfast bread
along with the more well known croissants.  Brioche is, for me, much  more
useful in a sliced loaf form than the traditional bun shape, and it  makes
for marvelous morning toast with or without eggs, and simply  ravishing
French toast.

Now, if somehow we can get someone in this region to carry authentic
croissants we'd speak basic French.

I think I've written before of a big chain bakery store in a shopping  mall
at the New Jersey - Pennsylvania border just off I-80:  Au Bon  Pain.
There are outlets of this chain all over Manhattan (even in the Bus
Terminal) that have wonderful, authentic croissants and brioche.   However,
the outlet in PA is not owned by the chain, and though the place
capitalizes
on the name, it's products are not authentic brioche parisienne or
croissants.