[Magdalen] A good idea?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 23:49:53 UTC 2016

I worked at a psychiatric center for a number of years. One thing about
these places is that folks pass away all the time, regardless of the
weather. There is a graveyard for the patients with no one else to claim
the body.  Since we had a geriatric unit, patients had often had no family
contact for decades. The yard had a ditch dug into the ground with planking
holding up the earth where the next candidate would go, so as to lessen the
time that the ground could not be dug, but, yes, in wintertime, it was a
reality that one often had to bide one's time....

There is an older lot I visited a couple of times, just about a hundred
meters from where the Appalachian Trail passes through the Center's
grounds. Totally overgrown, with a wrought iron gate top with some Bible
passage on it.  About as depressing as one can imagine, but I suppose in
the end all of our resting places will be utterly forgotten, so there's
actually little difference.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford