[Magdalen] Windy, waiting Williston

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Apr 25 01:59:34 UTC 2016

On 4/24/16 7:22 PM, ROGER STOKES wrote:

> My GPS indicated numerous roads to either side labelled as xth
> Avenue or Street, often in the hundreds, but frequently there
> was no visible sign of development and many were unpaved - if you
> could discern them at all  This is country ripe for development
> if anybody can get the figures to make it worthwhile.

Oh, there was a push few years ago to make whole rural counties
regularized so that cops, ambulances, fire trucks, and Fed-Ex could find
people.  I think it also has to do with GPS making surveyors of
everybody, (called E-911 addresses, E being "Enhanced" and 911 our
emergency call number) but it works out on the ground to having
everything at an address like a city.  +Glenn lived in the same sort of
rural town as I do, and he had his address juggled around too. My little
town, even though unincorporated, was platted and street-named, and they
just ignored our street names and arbitrarily changed them to names of
birds.  Our land is flat enough that it was pretty easy when it was
being settled to lay out roads along the grid lines of square miles,
with a few exceptions for the river, and now our roads are 10
(invisible)(not even any thought of ever paving them: it'd sure mess up
a lot of farm land!) "blocks" apart.  It does have its positive points,
but the system is still a pain in the neck.  I'm guessing that North
Dakota, with a lot fewer humans per square mile, is going through the
same (@%$#% process.  Got to have everybody pinned down to the square inch!

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net