[Magdalen] Duluth & the North Shore

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 26 23:23:22 UTC 2016

As promised the rain stayed away today so after a bracing walk on the Lakeside boardwalk I headed up the North Shore to view the Split Rock lighthouse and beyond.  It was a lovely drive and coming back the su glistening on the water made it look inviting, until you remember the waves and the temperature.  As advised I called in at Betty's Pies for lunch - which I frequently don't eat.

I headed down towards the shore at Two Harbors following the signs to the Lighthouse and was amazed to find the Lake County Historical Society's Depot Museum.  The museum itself was shut but I could look at the outdoor exhibits and the very informative boards by them.  The Yellowstone engine they have is quite some beast and I can imagine what it must have been like shifting an ore train.
The Maritime Museum was even more informative, including an audio-visual on how the Great Lakes were formed.  When it closed I braved the wind to stand by the canal as a ship was due in.  This meant I saw the aerial bridge raised as it approached and then made its way down the canal before turning towards its dock.
Tomorrow I head to Marquette but may take a trip up into the Bayfield peninsula.
Roger