[Magdalen] What makes a good godparent?

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:19:46 UTC 2016

I have been a godparent since I was 17 to one child, who is now grown and a
grandfather. His mother and I were close friends from 7th grade on, and
when she dropped out of school and married at 16, we continued our
friendship. She asked me to be her son's godmother when he was baptized in
the United Church of Christ and I took it very seriously. I always
functioned as a sort of auntie to him from the time he was born. When he
was 5 he was the only survivor of an auto accident that killed the rest of
his family (both parents and younger sister) and he was adopted by his
mother's older sister and her husband. In recent years we haven't been much
in contact, but he is my daughter's godfather.