[Magdalen] Hornets

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 01:50:24 UTC 2016

Here's an update...curiouser and curiouser, as Alice said:

In the ED last night Ryan was given IV Benadryl, to which he had a terrible
reaction--"jumping out of his skin," hallucinating, etc., etc. It turns out
that can happen with people who have ADD.  So they gave him Ativan and a
dose of steroids and then fluids.  He and Michelle got home around
midnight, by which time he was looking better.  But they also told Michelle
they didn't think all of this was a reaction to the hornet stings; it was
something else.  And I have to say, when I saw the pictures, I did not
think it looked like a typical reaction to a bite or sting, either.
Michelle now thinks it might actually have been an allergic reaction to the
Zyrtec he was given at the MedExpress place.  She's been in contact with
his pediatrician, and they are going to test that theory out in a few
days--carefully controlled, of course.  It's really important to figure
this out.  In the meantime, he did get an EpiPen and some other oral
medication to take back to camp.  I took him back this morning, so he could
at least finish out the session. Camp ends tomorrow noon, so he missed
about half of it.  He was in pretty good spirits riding out to the camp and
helped me with the directions. There was almost no evidence of the rash.
But he also talked about the hallucinations and how scary they were.
Michelle said she's sorry he remembers that.

--
Grace Cangialosi
Ruckersville, VA

*“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us
guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” - Dietrich
Bonhoeffer*