[Magdalen] Rent.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 16:06:51 UTC 2016

In a message dated 8/5/2016 11:47:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

but the  ENTIRE PLACE is so unrenovated, so un-up-to-modern energy code,
that they  can't reasonably raise it much more, technically if any, because
I've been  there for 11 years now, AND I know the owners, and those
cheapskates would  rather hold onto reliable rent than lose a good
customer.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The New York City rent stabilization produces bizarre situations.   The
late Mason Martens, music consultant for TEC '82 Hymnal, lived  for
decades in a very large rent controlled apartment in a beautiful  location
at 82nd and Broadway.  I think there were four bedrooms, which  were
mostly used for his fantastic collection of church music books.   The
owners refused to do anything to modernize the laughably out of date
kitchen and bathrooms because they wanted to get Mason out to
raise the rent.  He was paying perhaps 10% of what the apartment
could fetch for the owners.

David S.