[Magdalen] Sermons

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 23:32:02 UTC 2016

Very hard to make a change in either direction, either toward less
chat or more social interaction before a service. My mom's suburban RC
church has always been moderately chatty before Mass (and uproariously
chatty as soon as Father has departed the aisle after Mass), and I get
the distinct sense they'd be bewildered by any suggestion that it be
silent (other than the organ) before Mass. I visited Mom for Mothers'
Day and sang in the choir (she had this on her bucket list...singing
in choir with me); the choir area is on the same level as the rest of
the fan-shaped seating, and we talked at normal audible voice levels
before Mass as we reminded each other which hymn was first, which
anthem to have ready, etc. Mom and I suspect most of the parishioners
love the pastor to death: he's a bright, energetic, talkative,
outgoing man and could easily run a TV talk show.

On the other end is my parish, Ascension, Chicago, where it's always a
hushed or silent setting in church, and I think the design of the
place fosters that. Our parishioners on the whole would be equally
bewildered by any suggestion we should loosen up and chat a bit. Not
until coffee hour (or the narthex just after Mass).

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA