[Magdalen] IMO

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:53:02 UTC 2016

In going through three boxes of correspondence dating from the 1950s through
the early 2000s I just recently came across *all* the information and
letters of condolences that my mom received/kept from when my father died
(Jan 1975). She had lists of people to thank for contributions to a charity
she had named in the obit. ...and many letters from people who were friends
of my family, now all deceased themselves, who spontaneously wrote to my 51
year old mom about the sudden and unexpected death of my 53 year old father
and their friend. These notes had such a powerful effect on me, just reading
them.  I had been married a year and lived a day's drive away, and had not
lived at home for 5 years. I went back home and lived in a kind of vacuum
regarding my dad's sudden death, and  'moved on' without much grieving
because of the distance and separation from my own family, a new marriage
and work. These notes and letters brought me a realization that my mom lived
many days (months, and years) with the grief and 'what might have been/what
was supposed to have been, but was also surrounded by so many people who
loved her.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck