[Magdalen] The worthless tomato.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 18:32:05 UTC 2016

They may be "worthless" but they are damn good! I look forward to tomato
season every year. This year the Kroger store in Harrisonburg has been
carrying Grainger County, TN, tomatoes, and I am in heaven! For those
unfamiliar, Grainger County tomatoes are to the true tomato aficionado what
the Vidalia is to an onion lover.....absolute perfection! It is thought to
be a combination of breeding just the right stock, plus the red clay soil
and the climate. Grainger County is just on the other side of Cherokee Lake
(the dammed-up Holston River) from where I lived for 35 years and the dirt
and climate are basically the same. Virginia, eat your heart out.....the
much-touted Hanover tomatoes just aren't in it!