[Magdalen] Tempus Fugit.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 16:13:26 UTC 2016

The tremendous revival in popularity of the Brazilian hit tune,
"The Girl from Ipanema" caused me to think back to the time
when this was a top of the charts hit tune in the USA.

It was the summer of 1966, and the recording by Getz/Gilberto and
others was/were playing everywhere.  The song was written in  1962
and won awards in 1965, but I really became aware of it during  the summer
that was spent for me in basic training into the US Army Medical  Corps
at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX (1966).

I especially remember the
song as a backdrop in the cafe at Ft. Sam where the 250 physicians
and dentists in my "class" marched at 6 AM looking like "bunches
of lumps, and lumps of bunches" under the watchful eyes of Army
drill sergeants who were incredulous at how badly we marched.   We
all headed for the cafe after march-time.  The Ft. Sam buildings
were NOT air-conditioned.

It was also the summer of "Laura's Song" from the movie, "Dr.  Zhivago."
I saw this film during it's run in a San Antonio theater.  It was  a
memorable film, right up there with, say, "Gone with the Wind," and
"The Wizard of Oz" (I was 2 when those two came out in 1939).

Can it be possible that these memories/events are from 50 years ago?
Amazing.

David S.