[Magdalen] A new food thread, I imagine.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:47:26 UTC 2016

I can't remember where I read about the salad vending machines, but I'm
pretty sure they were in Chicago. The guy who started the whole thing was a
young fellow who was kind of dismayed by the sort of food offered in most
vending machines. It seemed like such a great idea.

I have been utterly appalled at times by the type of food offered at the
various hospitals I've worked at. As a travel nurse I experienced quite a
variety, as you can imagine! At some it was fairly decent, at others
appalling. Some places went above and beyond for their staff. At one
hospital we got soup at around midnight, which was good most of the time
but occasionally was real swill. I remember one night when it was a very
basic chicken noodle and my Korean pod-mate went by me having gotten
together with her buddy from the same country...they'd doctored theirs with
some hot pepper sauce and an immense amount of garlic, whew! At another,
the sandwich shop opened up between 1:30 and 2:15 am just for staff. At
most hospitals, though, night staff was on their own. But at my last one,
the weekend staff had something that was mysteriously called "Number
10"--don't ask me why. Sometime between 12:30 and 1 am, the cafeteria line
opened up and for the princely sum of a buck, you could fill your tray with
whatever you wanted from the hot bar. It was rumored to be leftovers from
the doctors' dining room and was usually pretty good. Salads, desserts, and
ice cream were extra. On the other hand, day shift, if they got to eat at
all, had to make do with the regular cafeteria or bring their own. (On my
unit they ordered out a lot.) This was true at most places where I worked,
and the food at most of them was abysmal and unhealthy. At one place, if
you worked days on Sunday, the cafeteria closed at 1:30 and the only thing
open after that was the in-house McDonald's. Great, huh?