[Magdalen] Thoughts at 5:30 AM

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 28 10:24:34 UTC 2016

On 28/08/2016 01:12, Ginga Wilder wrote:
> Oh, Judy.  I am so sorry.  I do not remember his name but that means
> nothing.  +Fitz Allison was a fan of John Stott....same book.  I took a
> diocesan course (CET'86) that the bishop required for all Christian
> Educators.  I was DCE at my parish.  I found Stott's theology unbearably
> glued to the right.

Apart from when he was away at school and university Stott's religious
life was based at All Souls, Langham Place in London. (That strikes me
as a strange dedication for the church which was the hub of
Evangelicalism in the Church of England at the time.) Hacing gone there
with his mother he was ordained to serve as Curate there before being
Rector for 30 years until the pressure of outside calls for gis ministry
prompted his resignation, five years after he had appointed a Vicar to
actually do the work of leading the church.  According to Wikipedia his
mentor was Eric Nash, an Evangelical priest employed by the Scripture
union, who saw his ministry as being to call the boys (only boys in
those days) at the leading public (private in US speak) schools to
Christ.  The camps he hed were apparently on militaristic lines.

I think it fair to say that Stott had a very narrow appreciation of the
breadth of Anglican tradition. Now on the other side of the Pearly Gates
he should be beginning to understand how much he ignored in this life.

Roger