[Magdalen] Drug research.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Aug 29 16:04:47 UTC 2016

On 8/29/16 7:52 AM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Prescriptive authority is a little different from certification.
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:46 AM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Varies state-to-state IIRC.
>>
>> http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departments/dph/programs/hcq/
>> dhpl/nursing/nursing-practice/aprn/practice-and-prescriptive-
>> guidelinesauthority.html

Well, I don't know of myself, but assuming that the doctors/nurses whom
I have known were not themselves doing something illegal, both may vary
not only from state to state, but from time to time.

When I was a child, more than sixty years ago, the doctor to whom my
parents would take me was a DO, not an MD.  He maintained his office in
Columbus, the County Seat, which also had a hospital where he practiced.
  He did house calls, and had a picture up in his office which I'd guess
was his ideal, of a country doctor driving his horse and buggy through
the rain on a very muddy road, to see a patient.  I would suppose that a
huge percentage of the time of such a doctor was taken up just between
one place and another.  He also had pictures in his office (waiting
room) of many of the thousands of babies he'd delivered.  If one needed
a doctor, in my time as a child, it was a good idea to phone his office
first, and if he was having an office day, they'd probably tell you to
come in, and then you'd wait your turn in his waiting room.  He lived in
a large, beautiful old house in Columbus, and the downstairs was office,
while he and his wife and daughter lived upstairs.  I gather that even
in the Fifties, he was old-fashioned.  He also maintained a small
dispensary for the commonest things, including many herbal medicines,
but he didn't give these to his patients in the form of raw herbs to
make teas, but passed them out in the forms of syrups, salves, etc.
Occasionally, if in his judgement that it was what was needed, he did
write prescriptions for things that he didn't have on hand, which one
could take to the pharmacy and have filled.  He did deliver my baby, in
1974, but that was not long before he stopped delivering babies, because
the insurance for obstetrics got so high that he couldn't afford to do
it any more without making his own fees so high that his patients
couldn't afford him.

More recently, in different sorts of clinics, I have had prescriptions
for medications written by Nurse Practitioners under the authority of
the MDs for/with whom they worked.  I would guess that Nurse
Practitioners can do this in both Kansas and Missouri, because the one
who wrote me new prescriptions at the Mental Health Center (for meds
which the Psychiatrist MD, who was only there one day a week, had
already determined) lived and had worked in Joplin, until the tornado
blew away the nursing home where she'd been a Head Something, while my
Mental Health Center was in Kansas.  Their rules for writing
prescriptions seemed to be somewhat complicated, but she'd ask me
questions about how I was doing, when she was writing me a new one, and
the talk-psychologists whom I saw once a week kept track of me to make
sure that the prescription I was taking wasn't "going bad" on me.  The
original prescriptions that the MD Shrink wrote could only be for 3
month's worth, one month at a time renewable, and when I needed a new
one, having run out of pills and renewals, the Nurse Practitioner could
write it.  The pharmacy where I took the paper prescriptions was very
big on enforcement of rules, especially those related to timing and
dates.  These pills, btw, were antidepressants and a tranquilizer for
panic attacks (Xanax/generic) that I needed to keep on hand.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net