[Magdalen] Update--Tennessee Wildfires

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 20:58:47 UTC 2016

It is terrible, although I guess it could so easily have been a lot worse
in terms of deaths.

I think a  whole lot of us are kind of thinking, "WTF? Tennesee isn't
supposed to have wildfires, is it? Not like this!! And how can a fire burn
right through an inch and a half of rain?"

Suffice it to say, fire, once it gets going, is a virtually unstoppable
horror. It can move so fast that it outruns smoke eaters trying to get
away. It stops only when it runs our of food.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford